If you are new to crafting, you may be wondering what all the fuss is about. Well, for many, myself included, Tim Holtz is the Crafting King - the God of Grunge - and the Titan of Tags. Back in 2007, he started creating a tag each day in December as an inspiration to his fans. The series was so successful that he continued it the next year. Each year the number of people following and commenting on the posts has grown exponentially! Where he may have gotten a few hundred comments per post the first year, now he literally gets THOUSANDS of posts. He creates each tag from scratch each day with a deadline to post on his blog by Midnight PST. He says he does his best work under pressure and I agree! I used to wake up each morning and make a cup of tea before logging on to see what he created, but since Mario began the whole BTS thing it is so much fun to follow along that I end up staying up way too late every night to get a glimpse of the magic.
To get an idea of the type of magic he creates watch this video:
If you would like to play along (and I HIGHLY recommend that you do!) here are some basic supplies you should plan to have on hand:
- #8 Manila Tags (or other surface)
- Ranger non-stick Craft Sheet
- Ink Blending Tool & extra Foam Applicators
- Various colors of Distress Ink (there is a new Limted Edition Holiday set I am sure he will be using)
- Stickles - plan on Icicle or Crystal, Rock Candy, Christmas Red, Gold, & Silver to make an appearance.
- Glossy Accents & Studio Matte Medium
- Wonder Tape
- Archival Ink (Black and maybe Sepia or Coffee)